Wednesday 18 June 2008

The vista

As the road emerged from between the two banks of grassy chalk the view ahead was unexpected. Coming to a halt behind a dozen other vehicles not only was the city spread out far below but also the harbour, the eastern end of the Island and the sea. The tide was out leaving the harbour resembling a deserted beach on a cold blustery autumn day. Bringing back memories of caravan holidays being forced to have fun even when the weather was inclement. Parents telling their children


'this holiday is for you so you will have fun'


Oh what fun days those were

9 comments:

Annie Wan said...

that is sch a beautiful picture. i was hoping to come down this saturdya no matter the forecast isn't good

Trixie said...

Ha! That's what I say to my kids on trips like that! Good old english holiday!

Karen said...

That truly is a beautiful place. It looks peaceful and I could sure do with some of that.

Joanna Cake said...

It does look wonderful. Im wondering if I spent a holiday there as a child. Bad weather didnt matter to me. I loved to read :)

Fat Controller said...

I think I know where you're thinking of and I too have spent wet weekends around there in a caravan!!!

I tagged you by the way, have a look on mine to see what it's all about

Queen Vixen said...

My Dad once took me and my sister to a place called Rosebush in Wales. Me and my sister hated it as the only attraction was a slate quarry and an old log. It was a craggy island moment (Father ted fans will remember Kevins stump) My mother had a massive investment in me and my sister enjoying ourselves so we embraced the log as our best pal. Talk about parents giving the message 'dont feel/think/be you' grizzly. So I am with you on this one Lady, hard to enjoy something when you are windswept, freezing and as was a feature on my family holidays - bloody hungry.

Ron said...

You brought back some wonderful memories of holidays at the beach with my family!

Beautifully expressed, Lady!

Have a great weekend!

Vincent said...

much better than Costa Del Sol, where I had misfortune to go recently

Lady in red said...

Ah I was wondering if you had a good holiday