Tuesday 24 June 2008

Crisis

After all these months things are about to change. I mentioned a while ago that I had told Mr Green I have been out socially 5 times so far this year. Once was my date with Coach, then there was the Company's Christmas dinner in January. In February I went to the dating site pub night with Harvey to keep him company. He was too shy to go on his own. It was a strange evening for me as I had just found Romeo and although he didn't mind, me going with Harvey, I felt out of place as I wasn't looking for a new man. Then in March there was the girls night out with my colleagues from work when MTBA began her maternity leave. All this excitement was topped off with the family outing that was the Rotary Quiz night, bizzarly, our team was called 'Lady in Red' (not my doing).




Since then I have of course had my night out with Vi and BB.




But..............










Things are a changing for me and at this rate by christmas I will have gone out socially at least a dozen times. This week I am going out on Thursday evening and Friday. Yay me I shan't know what has hit me, two nights out on the trot. Cinderella is going to the ball.










But here comes the crisis bit..................










Cinderella has nothing to wear to the ball.










Cinderella does not mind that she will have to wear something she has worn before, It does not matter to Cinderella that on Thursday night all the other women will be wearing expensive cocktail dresses or some may even be wearing fancy, evening dresses. All the men will be dressed in dinner jackets or perhaps a few in smart suits. There will be men in dickie bows and cummerbund. There will be ribbons and medals, sparkly jewelry, expensive perfume. Then there will be Cinderella in her cheap rags just enjoying the evening probaby wearing the same floaty summer skirt and possibly the same cowl neck cream top as last year( no one will notice).










But Cinderella has been bad, Cinderella has not been dilliegent about taking her hormone tablets. Cinderella has not been taking regular excercise either in the gym or the bedroom. Cinderella has been filling that empty space, where her love should be, with bread and pastry. Cinderella is afraid that even the meagre scraps of fabric that hang invitingly in her wardrobe might object to being wrapped around this expanding middle.










Friday night will be a different dilema. There will be lots of drinking, laughing, chatting and god forbid walking. Friday evening calls for Jeans and a smart casual top. Friday evening is the send off for slim girl as she embarks on a new and hopefully challenging new career. Friday evening may also in a small way be my celebration for my new improved work situation. Friday will in short be a 'piss up' in The City, I know I shall end up being embarrassed in one way or another. Both our MD and his side kick Harry will be there and there have been threats made by Harry to get us drunk.










So jeans it will be, blue or black I have yet to decide. But I have no idea what to wear with them for a night out on a pub crawl with the bosses. Any one who knows me will know that I prefer skirts and heels to trousers, and as for flats................










Whilst I am not one for designer labels (unless it's George of course) I do like to look my best whenever I can, even if I don't always manage it.





So any suggestions on what to wear (with a budget of £0).







ps I think I forgot to mention where I was going on Thursday.....Rotart Club President's Night Dinner











pps Romeo is back



10 comments:

Annie Wan said...

yay for you that romeo is back - what will you wear to see him i wonder?

i'm not much help on the what to wear to functions dilemma as i usually have no idea myself if it were me until half an hour before said do. just wear what you like and would make you feel good. and if you are used to walking in heels forget the flats or just bring them with you in case...

CheekyDani said...

What about jazzing something you already have/feel good in with a pretty scarf, beads, feathers, hat, gloves, jewellery, etc?? And of course wear your most fabulous shoes, they always make a girl feel good :)

Mel said...

Yup......rob peter and jazz up paul.....it's a fun, workable thing.

A scarf, a jacket, a blouse--mix it up until you're feeling good about the combination.

And don't do what I do--which is toss the 'doesn't work!' on the floor and walk away. Darn stuff doesn't just magically get hung up in my absence, dangitall!

Most importantly....HAVE FUN!

Trixie said...

Stuff what you are wearing... I wanna hear about Romeo! Does that mean he is back in the country???? Are you finally going to meet him?

Karen said...

No fashion advice here I'm afraid...I don't have much idea about this kind of stuff but Ihope you have a wonderful time on both nights.

Now about Romeo....

Lady in red said...

Mei some how I don't think on that occasion it will matter what I wear as long as it is clean, ironed and fits

Lady in red said...

Thanks Dani you ahve just given me an idea. After reading about all the wonderful outfits you have worn for your dates I was checking out the beads and scarves in M & S earlier but didn't buy any. But I have got some feathers I bought ages ago to give to Romeo I might be able to use some of those.

Lady in red said...

Mel that must be why my clothes are in a heap then doh

Lady in red said...

lol at Trixie...........all in good time

Lady in red said...

gypsy don't say you have no fashion advice I ahve seen that fabulous red dress of yours