Saturday 7 February 2009

Best experience ever

I was at work when I got the text mid morning


How will I get home?


This was the start of a flurry of calls and texts.


It was 12.40 when he told me he had arrived back where he had started from. I told him I would be there around 1pm


I arranged with my colleagues that for a change I would be going out at lunch time and taking at least an hour instead of my normal 1/2 hour at my desk.


When I arrived after driving through sleet to get there he complained bitterly that I had parked in a puddle.


As I drove he told me all about his last few days. Building a sculpture out of snow to represent something that the whole group felt would represent what they wanted out of this week. They made a flight of steps to represent steps to success.


He told me about being sea sick as they rowed canoes down a very cold river.

He told me that he made an omelette for the first time in his life and they didn't use milk.

He told me about the rock climbing, high wires and other things they did.


In short my quiet, shy boy talked all the way home. He told me that he feels more confident, they had learnt how to get over his lack of confidence. He told me that he could see the difference in others as the week progressed.


When I arrived home I watched him walk towards our house with a slight swagger as he carried his bags and his sleeping bag before I turned my car around and drove back to work.


When I got home he was on the pc chatting. Apparently he has put a message after his name on MSN that he has just had the best exerience of his life


For me that says it all. I am glad he has had a good time even though his mother was worried about him in the blizzards doing all these outside activities.


Welcome Home ET


5 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

Ah how wonderful! Great pic too! xo

Fire Byrd said...

How wonderful to have made him feel so confident, and for mum having faith in him.
Good looking isn't he! Is he wearing nail varnish ??
xx

Anonymous said...

This post is making me emotional. Kudos to ET. Hope that this the beginning of something wonderful in his life

Mel said...

Gosh......does a mom proud, huh?

:-)

nitebyrd said...

Wow! I'm smiling at this! What an extraordinary experience he had. You're right to be proud!