Saturday 18 October 2008

Worlds End and back again

On a lovely bright and warm sunny Saturday late morning/early afternoon in October what better way to spend my time than driving along country lanes. Heading north then at the first village taking the left fork now heading north west uphill through a wooded area before plunging back down hill through open fields and several more villages until I reach the one with the abbey ruins. Swinging around the roundabout back towards home. On the drive back I begin my mission. Stopping at numerous pubs and asking the question, each time getting the same answer. Back at the first village turning east now back on the road I can't help remembering holding hands with Romeo as he drove on that hot summer day. But it isn't long before I turn off that road heading north again along lanes travelled with Swinger more than two years ago. Finally my destination, World's End the location of the hostelry where I first met My Knight. This time the answer I was hoping for.


But it is such a lovely day I shall just try a few more, heading south now through places I know the names of but don't know the roads. I just drive going first this way and then that, not knowing where each road will lead me until I find myself driving into the northern end of the borough where I work. I Havant a clue how I managed to get to there, thinking I was further west than I obviously was. Getting my bearings I head west again but this time on roads I know, stopping at the Asquith Arms again receiving a negative answer.


Time is getting on now and I still have things to do so stopping in the town centre gathering up the objects required to make the imminent 18th birthday appreciated, plus some ointment for me from the pharmacy. Walking through the pedestrian area away from the main shopping area to the Golden Pantha again receiving the positive answer I had been seeking. I am now weary and set off back home with my shopping and two menus for christmas lunch on christmas day. both at £49.50 per head that will be £300 for our xmas lunch!!!


But mother (who is currently galavanting in Cardiff prior to her op) says thats ok. It will serve to be a joint celebration, Christmas, OJ's 18th birthday in a few days, DC's 21st in early Feb and also JA has his birthday in December and ET will be 17 in January. Instead of going out to celebrate each of these birthdays we can combine it with Christmas.


At the moment it appears as though my instinct to choose the second candidate for the job seems to be working out. She started on Monday and is getting stuck in.


Oh and on my drive around the countryside today I noticed a garage where unleaded fuel was down to 99.99p per litre the garage across the road from here is down to 102.99p when I alst bought fuel last sunday it was 106.99p so it does look as though prices have come down somewhat. Now let start seeing that reflected in other parts of our economy.

9 comments:

Annie Wan said...

we passed an asda pump which wsa down to 99.99p as well.

glad to hear your new asst. is working out.

it was a lovely day wasn't it? we're so glad for the few sunny weekends these days

Fire Byrd said...

weather gorgeous , petrol cheaper, and all we need now is the world to sort out the banks, and get the right president in four weeks time.... that's Obama, BTW.
Glad you've got Christmas sorted ...

Lady in red said...

Mei we have had some lovely weather the last few weekend but I just noticed it's going to get colder in the week

Lady in red said...

Fire
so you are going for Obama too, I was having a discussion about this with OJ the other night. I'm not over keen on Obama but he does seem to be the beter choice of the two.

MarmiteToasty said...

Your having your crimbo dinner at The Chairmakers in Worlds End?

wow 300 quid, I could feed a party of 50 for crimbo dinner for that lol..... what an expense, bloody hell.... think I'll stick with cooking for my lot and their girlfriends....

x

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your blog, we liked it received a warm greeting

Mel said...

That's gotta be REALLY good eats for that price. WOW.

And yeah for declining gas prices. About freaking time!

Dark Side said...

what a lovely post, had me guessing right up until the end, glad you have got sorted though and apparently food prices are set to drop too over the next few weeks fingers crossed..xx

nitebyrd said...

What a lovely day you had! Sounds like you all will have a great Christmas/birthdays celebration.

Sadly, I think voting here will be making a choice between the lesser of two evils. I'm leaning towards Obama as well.