Tuesday 5 May 2009

wet feet

It has been a busy bank holiday for me. Between clearing the greenery from my garden, that takes me a long long time I have had my hair cut, had a brief unexpected encounter with Karma which was followed a few hours later by 2 hours of text tennis.


I have made several trips to the amenity tip, with many more trips still to go. I was lucky that each visit was timed to perfection in that I didn't have to queue but moments later queues were building.


When my ex husband lived here he was a firm believer or should I say he practiced the religion of 'bodge it and leave it'. One of his bidge its was my litchen floor. The old lino was in poor condition but instead of taking it up and replacing it with a new floor covering of our choice he laid first a rug over the lino, then more cheap thin lino over that. This top layer of lino ripped easily and has been steadily disintegrating.


For sometime now the floor has felt cold under foot. On Saturday JA commented on the floor being wet which it was beside the sink unit. I took this to be a result of enthusiastic washing up. Sunday the floor was still wet. I discovered that there were several patches of wet floor. I mentioned this to Plumber who promised to investigate on Monday evening.


This was enough to get me working hard on nonday to get my litchen looking better than it has for a long time. This included ripping up the top layer of lino. To my horror the now exposed rug was sopping wet so this followed the lino ...........out the door.Now I noticed that everywhere I stepped the now lonely layer of ancient floor covering was wet where my feet had been.


I figured that maybe the washing machine was leaking or the pipes leading to it were. On arrival Plumber checked this out there was no leak there. But when he checked under the sink he discovered the problem. The machine inlet pipes were not properly fitted, they were dripping and probably had been for years. 4/5ths of the floorboards were soaking wet. Plumber using his handy moisture absorbing vacuum sucked up all the surface water, (we had removed the remaining lino). My floor is now drying out, I was lucky that we caught it before it was too late.


Last night I had a long conversation with Plumber about the sorry state of my home. He is going to help me to get everything fixed up but as a bonus he is going to talk to my boys 'you mustn't be there though' to tell them that they must do more to help me instead of expecting me to pick up after them.


I think Plumber is good for me at the moment.

7 comments:

Fat Controller said...

Isn't it a huge relief just to have someone who knows what they're doing take charge of the situation? I'm glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

DJ Kirkby said...

Plumber sounds most fab! x

Dark Side said...

I think I am starting to like Plumber more and more and being a handy lamb helps also, it what most of us singles miss is someone to do the DIY tasks....xx

Unknown said...

I need a plumber to talk to my kids about helping me more.

Fire Byrd said...

Plumber sounds jut the biz right now, and so useful!
xx

Mel said...

Oh boy...sounds like a heck of a mess going into it. I'm really glad to hear that the problem's been reconciled--MULTIPLE problems it sounds like.

*hugs*
Enjoy the weekend!

Anonymous said...

Methinks Mr Plumber is PERFECT!!! I particularly like the part where he thinks that the boys should be lending a hand. He sounds so down to earth and reasonable. Enjoy your weekend.