I wasn't looking forward to my evening. I knew that once I had rested after my day at work I would have to get stuck into the big clear out. I need to clear out a lot of clutter before my boiler can be replaced. I thought I would have more time but yesterday I got the phone call to tell me that the boiler is being replaced on Thursday. The engineer will be here at 7.30am. Before then I need to move my filing cabinet which is just inches away from the side access to the baxi boiler I currently have. I also have to make the radiator in the dining room accessible, currently there is a table there which is stacked with things and also has more stuff stacked under it.
But before I could get stuck into anything I dashed out of the house, raced back along the motorway to the big ASDA store near to where I work. A quick look in the electrical department was fruitless. None of the salads I like were available either. Back into my car and back along the motorway towards home stopping at the big Tesco store near the marina. Success, I found what I was looking for. Carrying my new purchase I set off back home. Opened up the big red box and began to install my new printer.
OJ has been working very hard on his A'level ICT project for weeks now. He has created a database which his project is about. He has been working until 3 am night after night. Last night he worked right through the night. Today he was to hand in his finished work, but the college printer was not working properly. He has asked for one more day to get it printed at home. My 3 in 1 printer that has not been used for nearly a year didn't want to know. I had borrowed a printer from a friend only to discover this evening that it won't link up to a laptop. It will work with the old desktop PC in the lounge but that doesn't have the right programes installed to use office documents. I had been planning to buy a new printer soon so tonight was the night.
But it wasn't until I started the installation process that I discovered the printer came with only colour ink not black. As if that wasn't enough of a set back at 9.30pm I then discovered there was no USB cable. But that was ok there was a suitable cable attached to my old printer. OJ copied his project onto my memory stick. I began printing first the Analysis (14 pages) Assesment (7 pages) then I began printing Implementation but the new printer ran out of ink by the time it had printed 42 out of the 50 pages. I have no idea how many pages are left in total. He will have to hand it in either incomplete or somehow finish printing it at college. If only he had tried to set up the printer 3 weeks ago when it was handed to me then I could have been more organised but he does tend to leave things to the last moment. He should also have had his project finished sometime ago but he just couldn't resist adding more to it everyday.
Maybe this will be a lesson to him.
Now I have only Wednesday to get my clearing out done. Not only that but I need to get my kitchen sorted as Plumber told me today that as I will be at home on Thursday he will put my dishwasher in for me and strim my back garden so I can get started on that project.
“Doing” a Doctorate – week 16
6 hours ago