Tuesday 25 December 2012

Christmas


Hey I bet you didn't expect to see me back did you ?



    It has been our first Christmas in this house, indeed it has been our first Christmas day together. Not our first Christmas as that was last year but we didn't spend the day together. OJ, and ET had arrived last week (that's another story) JA being a permanent resident was already here. Mother and DC were due to arrive at midday. Owl and I were both up at 8.30am (several hours before my boys had dragged themselves out of their various pits). Plenty of time for us to get everything organised for the day or so you would think.

     So how is it that at midday Owl was chatting to his cousin on the phone when I saw mother's car arriving. The table still needed clearing, the spare room needed to be cleared of 'boy's stuff and made up for mother's stay. The veg needed to be prepared, a hundred other things still needed to be done.

 Now we move on to 4pm (dinner was scheduled for 3.30pm after the Queen had given her annual thoughts to the Nation. Turkey was now cooked and carved, roast potatoes were just perfect, the stuffing balls were slightly over done as were the mini yorkshires.....yorkshires with the christmas dinner never never never but the consensus was that we needed them. If only I had used a tad more oil in the bun tray they might have slipped out as planned instead of being scooped out leaving half the batter behind. Any way the gravy was ready (both jugs!). I wanted to move the furniture a little to make more space around the dining table. That was when I discovered that although the table had been extended it hadn't been clicked together.

As I grabbed the side of the table the middle section began to dip in the middle....I could just see the jug of iced water and open wine bottles crashing to the floor or at least the centre of the table. Amid cries for help we managed to move all the at risk items before fixing the table securely together. Returning to the kitchen to finish dishing up the dinner I suddenly realised! I had insisted that we had pigs in blankets with our turkey. Owl had never heard of them but I was about to show him the way to a mouth watering tradition. I had cheated and bought ready made packs .....3 of them to boot but all three were still in the fridge.

Guess what we are having for breakfast on Boxing Day!


OK so now it is boxing day and I have created a new blog .....Lady in Red again
I look forward to meeting you there.